Monday, October 27, 2008

Change of Season Change of Heart


This heart is at the Defa's Dude Ranch. The following is from the Deseret News:

Known simply as the heart, the seasonal phenomenon draws sightseers, painters and photographers to this secluded canyon in the Ashley National Forest each fall. For just one or two weeks, the telltale heart blooms bright yellow on a green background, an acre-big autumn valentine.
``We've had Forest Service people tell us it's one big root system of aspens in the grove, because the heart always changes color first, long before the rest of the aspens around it change,'' says Defa. ``I've walked that hillside many times, and there is virtually no difference between the trees in the heart and the trees around it.''
Some old-timers speculate the heart is actually a man-made marker to an old Spanish gold mine.
Thanks Holly for the picture. I missed not seeing it this year. Isn't that amazing?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool..Which Defa was it? lol
I'm glad you like it, I think Rainna, Laura's daughter took it..
I never got to see it this year either.. I think it changes earlier than most of the leaves.. We have looked for the Rhoades mine in it and it's not there..We even dug alote in it..Well as a kids it seemed like lots..

Sherry said...

Wow. That is too cool!

Brenda said...

That is so awesome, wow it's amazing no matter if its man-made or nature-made it would be worth taking a trip to see sometime! Thanks for sharing!